Saturday, September 29, 2012

Arpeggios of Death - Connecting Shapes to Form Huge Lines

For this week, I thought I'd focus more on an actual lesson style post. I'm still not really quite sure what direction this blog is going to go in (thoughts on musical subjects with the occasional lesson or vice versa) so if anyone is out there reading, please let me know what interests you more!

I wanted to showcase how I string together arpeggio shapes to come up with some pretty scary runs. The sample for today will be a lick I've been using live to start off the solo from the Dark Empire song Humanity Dethroned, the title track from our 2nd album. The lick as a whole encompasses nearly 4 full octaves, so the effect is pretty dramatic. Before getting started, I should note that I tune down one whole step on a 7 string guitar (ADGCFAD). You don't need a 7 string to play this lick, but I will be referring to the notes as they sound in pitch, not by position.



Humanity Dethroned Lick Guitar Pro 6 File
Humanity Dethroned Lick PDF file

I start off with a 3 octave B minor tapped arpeggio that skips from the low E to the D and then the high E string, before returning back to the D and then up again to the high E. This type of pattern was inspired by Guthrie Govan and is a really great, versatile way of running through triad arpeggios that sounds similar to, but much more flowing than the typical sweep arpeggio shape. When doing these types of string skips its really important to slow things down and really check on your muting technique. I use my right hand palm to cover up strings lower than the one I'm currently playing and my left hand index finger to mute the higher strings. The notes between skips should sound fluid; try to avoid any "hiccups" or breaks in the line. Ultimately, this should sound like its all on one really long guitar string.

Next, I slide up a position, which puts me right in line to do a 2nd inversion B minor descending sweep shape, but instead of sweeping it, I just perform it with hammer-ons-from-nowhere. Again, really be sure to separate and articulate the notes as you descend down; you don't want to have any note bleed between strings. Taking it really slow is the key.

Once I've descended the 2nd inversion shape, I transition up again to do another string skipping tapping arpeggio shape, this time a Bmin7. Normally, I would tap the root on the high E string, but instead I "expand" my left hand into a wide-form shape so that I'm grabbing the root note (B) on the high E string with my 4th finger, so I can tap the minor 3rd (D) at the 24th fret. I would suggest practicing each of these 3 sections one at a time until you're confident with each individually, then connect them to form the entire Bm arpeggio run.

Next, I go straight into an A# diminished 7th arpeggio descending in groups of 3 notes, using a Greg Howe style "tap/pull/hammer" pattern. Next, I move this down an inversion and finish off with a descending B Harmonic minor scale. even though I am switching to a scalar 3 note per string pattern, I still tap the top note, because I find this allows for the smoothest transition out of (or into) the tapped arpeggio style licks.

Thats it for now. I hope you've learned something new from working on a lick such as this. If you're interested in setting up a free trial Skype webcam lesson with me, don't hesitate to  Email me.

And of course, if you haven't, be sure to "like" the Dark Empire Facebook Page and check out our new album "From Refuge to Ruin" on Nightmare Records and iTunes.


Until next time!

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment